To those who walked with us in prayer and encouragement...

Our hearts are so deeply broken, and our lives will never be the same. John was a happy, tender, kind, courageous and honorable husband, father, son, brother, grandson, uncle, friend…and so much more! He has always provided comfort to our family as well as plenty of fun and laughs. John truly loved being an officer, and he would do it all over again - with no regrets. We will miss him dearly until we see him again in Heaven. We know this world is not our home, but this pain still hurts incredibly deep to the core. Our family is broken, but we will rejoice in sweet precious memories and the assurance that John is beside the Lord who loves him more than we ever could. John loved and was dearly loved – that is his legacy we will carry. Throughout the past week of battles, victories, joys, trials and prayers, the loving kindness and support has been amazingly beautiful and has forever humbled our family. If acts of kindness and love could have saved him, he would undoubtedly still be here with us. We do not understand, but we will learn to accept. John was a good man who lived a good life, so we consider our family blessed. He will continue to forever warm our heart and souls.



A tribute to John's life along with information about his legacy can be found at:

Monday, January 3, 2011

Be still and know...

Today's hot topics in Rm 12-
Platelets- dropped to as low as 12 but rallied back to the high 40 range. Fluids are still a balancing act with his blood pressure being so low. They have significantly decreased the pain meds and he is not on any sedation meds. The circulation to his fingertips is still being promoted with warm blankets but they continue to get poor circulation as a result of the all medicines still in his body. It was explained to us that when your body goes into shock and has as much trauma as he has the body goes into survival mode to protect the vital organs - which is why the poor blood flow to his fingers. They did mid afternoon bring the OR to his room. They closed his abdomen as well as wash out and repack his left arm. He remained stable through the surgery and it was done at the bedside because of full OR's not because he wasn't able to make the trip. They were not able to put the temporary cast on earlier but plan to do that during the night sometime. He is less reliant on the ventilator for his breathing than he was yesterday. He still is not stable enough for an MRI so lots of unknowns remain but we will go with it because that is our only option for now.

Each time I saw John today I was reminded of Psalm 46:10, "be still and know that I am God." I have repeated that to myself over and over today. I know God, I know that He is good, I know that He is able, I know that He is with us, that when we see Him nothing else will matter but on this side of heaven this is hard to process! I miss John and I don't like not knowing the end of this story.

I made an interesting discovery today - his hair is starting to gray - I hadn't notice before I had hours to stare at him. So looking forward to bringing that up to him as he approaches 40. Another updated I am excited to share- they brushed his teeth. It was way past time for that to happen - tomorrow it will be a week!


12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Bridget for these updates during what we all know must be a very trying, and tiring period for you. John is in my thoughts and prayers often as i go through my day.

    May God continue to be with you all !

    Yours in Christ,
    Rev. Robert A. Crutchfield
    Founder, Christ 4 Responders
    Chaplain, Katy Fire & EMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has already won so many battles; keep up the hard work John! My prayers continue to flow your way daily. Thank you Bridget! Sincerely, Tracie Carr McCartney

    ReplyDelete
  3. As JD well knows, I'm probably not good enough with technology to figure out any other way to post than "anonymously".

    With that being said, I know Chris has shared with ya'll that there is another notch on the "in honor of JD belt" tonight, so thats all I have to comment on when it comes to that.

    I guess the main thing I want to express is that JD being unable to talk for this long has to be a first! (lol). And that his silence is a bad thing....because even when he is messing with me through a phone call, a message, or over dinner, he can really make coming to work a blast.

    He has taught me a lot in the short time we have been working together, and I'm looking forward to the day (which i hope will come very soon) that I can come up and tell him all about what he has been missing out on...mainly because it will probably irritate him that he wasn't there for it!

    I will be up to visit in the next couple of days. Thoughts and prayers are with ya'll unitl then...

    "Mike"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridge..I looking at a large "B" that Jim gave Roy and I for Christmas..the quoute on the side of it says.."BE still and know that I am God" I have it sitting on my hearth and I look at it everynight and think of John (Little David to me).

    We know that God is in control and that the hardest thing for us to do is "be still" John is strong..he is fighting as hard as he can and God is handling the rest. We will pray and pray as the days go by...waiting for him to wake up.

    We all will continue to keep the faith!! John...we love you honey and we are here for you.

    Love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. JD, know in your heart as you fight that you are loved by many! We do need to share all of that love with you. WE are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Melissa Norsworthy and John is the love of my life! Thank you for all your prayers for my love! I miss his smile and his laugh and the way he would just hold me but I know that he is strong and will be back to me soon! I Love You Baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so loved Bridge! So true what you wrote my friend.I LOVE that verse and it has literally given me such strength. All we can do is pray for grace to be ABLE to be still and trust in our most Powerful, Holy God that we love and serve. From my eyes, my sweet friend, you are doing such a great job! You are such a beautiful example of a sister. Melissa, it was so good to see your sweet and loving post. You are such an amazing wife! I loved seeing you the other day and giving you a hug.I know our God is holding you right now, directing you every step of the way and enabling you to press through. John is such a blessed man and I am confident he knows that. You are all so loved!
    Much love,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bridget and family - thanks so much for these updates and sharing his ups and downs. Please know that you are in so many people's thoughts and prayers. God is with him and remember - if God brings you to it, he will bring you through it!

    Kimberly (Nawara) Winslow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa and family - you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We live near the accident scene. We could hear the sirens and see nothing. All we could do was pray. We have been in your shoes! My husband is walking proof that he WILL recover! My family lived this nightmare 3 years ago. A completely crushed pelvis and constant bleeding... I did not get the same Husband back, though. I got a better one! As I helped bathe him and feed him, and as I cried the first time he was able to walk up a set of stairs, he cried to. Because he realized how much people loved him! I pray that you and your husband have the fortune of that kind of recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Jacob with us over the weekend. He is such a good person. We tired to comfort him by listening and just being there for him. He loves his father there's no doubt about that. He was so tired Saturday but wanted to stay up to watch a movie with all of us. I made him a bed and I hope he got a good nights rest. There's just something about playing that xbox with your friends...I don't seem to get it but the boys do. Again we are here for you and your family and always praying. We all more than happy to help in anyway we can.

    Jason, Eloise, Alex, Auriana, Asa and Ava

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bridget, I keep thinking of posting but have been holding back because I know you & Darrell much better than I know John & Melissa, and it seems like this is more a site for them. (Yes, I am over-thinking this as I always do.) But I just had to reply when I read your post. I kept thinking of that same scripture all day yesterday as I thought about sending you some encouragement. I looked in my Bible for applicable verses and kept coming back to that one, "Be still, and know that I am God." I was feeling you, sister! And you didn't need my encouraging words...you were hearing it straight from the Holy Spirit! God is so awesome and His Spirit is just there kindly whispering to us what we need to hear.

    I am praying all throughout the day for John's recovery and God's peace on Melissa and all the family, as well as for God to work out all the details in all of your lives right now, from the timing of different procedures to be performed on John, to who's bringing food to those staying at the hospital, to the "regular" details of life that keep going on even when it feels like your world has stopped.

    I can't wait to hear more reports of good progres which I am sure will come with all the hundreds and thousands of prayers going up for John. Thanks for keeping us updated!
    Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete